Menu
Old Flour Mill
The Old Flour Mill at 231-235 Brisbane Street was built, by Worley and Whitehead, in 1902 from a design by architect George Brockwell Gill for the Ipswich Milling Company Ltd. The company was in turn owned by Francis Kates, who was the Member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly. He represented Darling Downs from 26 November 1878 to the 1 November 1881, and from 1 October 1883 to 4 May 1888, and Cunningham from 11 March 1899 to his death on the 26 September 1903.
Mr. Kates had been born in Berlin to a miller, and after graduating from Berlin University moved to Queensland in 1858. He built several other flour mills throughout the country, The Old Flour Mill reportedly being his eighth, and showed an interest in developing the rural sector during his time in parliament. Although Francis Kates Snr. was involved in the development of the property, it was his son Francis Henry Kates that would own the property during its working life.
When first constructed the mill had three milling floors and a basement, and had a grain storage shed at the rear of the property that was connected to the railway siding. The mill used an American steam engine that was run off of North Ipswich coal. This set up had the capacity to turn out 35 to 40 tons of flour each week, which was sold under the name 'Snowcloud', and stored in a single storey building attached to the eastern side of the main building. The wheat that was milled here was mostly sourced from Allora and other places in the Darling Downs, but they did encourage local farmers to begin to grow wheat and offered supply seed at cost price in the hopes of lowering transportation costs.
By 1905 another company, 'Wigfull and Blands' were using the property to produce their own flour ('Heatherball').
The building was sold in 1910 to Cribb & Foote for 1800 pounds. They made alterations to the building, including installing a lift and adding an awning over the footpath of the flour store. This building would become their new stove showroom. In 1926 it was sold again and became Johnson's Garage and motor showroom. In 1935 the top floor was rented to FIP, a radio station, who used the space until 1963.
Sold once again to Bert and Bev De Wit in 1984, and refurbished again in 1993; which included adding the current arcade lay out. During these renovations the owners restored some of the original features, including corrugated iron walls, wooden floors, exposed beams, leadlight windows, original sliding doors and wooden shutters. Although they also added a two-storey extension to the rear of the building.
By 1991 the building was being used by Paddy's Market, and has also been home to a bridal shop, a cafe, barbers and art and gift shops.
Inside the building there is a mural painted by J. K. Foote, dated as the 23rd of August 1922, it depicts a sailing ship.
Researched & Written BySarah VenessReferences (online)Old Flour Mill Ipswich 1901, Archetypal Graphics [YouTube, accessed 11/05/2026]The Old Flour Mill - Past and Present600556 Flour Mill, Queensland Heritage RegisterKates, Francis Benhamin, Queensland Parliament





