Menu
Booval House
The land upon which Booval House stands was originally owned by Mr C.V. Daveney. The house itself was built between 1857 and 1859 for George Faircloth, Manager of Ipswich’s Bank of Australasia. William Hancock was contracted as the builder, and the architect was possibly William Claydon Wakeling. A two-storey brick building, this residence was the first major home constructed in the Booval area.
On 20 December 1859, Booval House received important visitors when Governor and Lady Bowen stopped there for refreshments and a change of attire at the beginning of their first visit to Ipswich.
Like many people in Ipswich, Faircloth took advantage of the global shortage of cotton caused by the American Civil War and established a cotton plantation on the many acres of land surrounding his home. Despite being considered a promising new primary industry for the Ipswich area, many cotton companies and individual growers ultimately lost money.
In August 1868, Booval House was auctioned under the directions from liquidators, the Bank of Australasia. It was purchased by John Ferrett, the former Trustee of Ipswich Cotton Company. As well as his interests in coalmining, Ferrett seems to have continued farming to some degree at Booval House.
Six years later, Booval House was advertised for rent, though the reason for this is unknown. After Ferrett died in 1894, control of the property was passed to his nephew, Harry. In 1896, alterations were made to the house after George Brockwell Gill called for tenders for a timber extension to the rear of the house and a new iron roof. The Ferrett family remained in Booval House until 1921. At this time, it was purchased by the Catholic Church.
Left empty for several years, the house was renovated and in 1930 was reopened as the St Gabriel's Convent for the Sisters of Mercy. White ant damage prompted alterations to the verandahs in 1946 with timber being replaced with cement, and the addition of brick supporting piers. A brick extension was added in 1969 which included bedrooms and a chapel. With the decline in the number of Sisters in the 1980s, the house stood empty for many years.
In 1997, Booval House was sold to Dr John and Helen Jackson. Over a period of twenty years, they dedicated themselves to restoring the property to its former glory and in 2002 their work was recognised when they received the National Trust of Queensland's highest award - the John Herbert Memorial Award for Excellence in Conservation.
When it was auctioned in 2017, the original Booval House was once again free-standing and featured five bedrooms (three with ensuite), six fireplaces, an expansive modern kitchen as well as a drawing room, dining room, library and music room. Just as impressive were the landscaped grounds which included a summer-house, orchid house, two greenhouses and a circular driveway with fountain.
A Georgian-style mansion, Booval House is a rare surviving example of a substantial two-storeyed brick house built during the 1850s.
References (offline)Ipswich Heritage Study 1992, Volume 3 - Inventory of Heritage Items: Public, Commercial and Residential (Amberley to Ipswich)References (online)Georgian mansion goes under the auction hammer, Seniors News, 25th Aug 2017Booval House, Queensland Heritage Register





