Menu
Lobley Park
Lobley Park Naming
The Ipswich Council Works Committee’s Report dated 9 September 1953 carried a suggestion that Council consider the suggestion from the A.L.P. Churchill Branch that Council purchase a piece of land for recreation purposes. They suggested two properties, one being Haenke’s paddock and the other being O’Brian’s Flat. The Council advised the A.L.P. Churchill Branch that the sites had been inspected and that neither of the suggested sites were considered suitable for recreation purposes.
In August the following year, Council acquired land at Churchill and they informed the A.L.P. Churchill Branch that they agreed to name the area “Lobley Park” which had been suggested by the group. The reason behind the naming was not recorded.
The first Title Deed for the land was granted to William Cowan on 13 October 1862. George Arthur and Mary Ann Keidge purchased the property on 26 July 1911. The Keidge family had a long association with this site from 1911 to 1977.
When Mary Ann Keidge died in 1954 her obituary stated that the family moved to Churchill to what became known as Honour Board Corner. Mary Ann lived there with her son Herbert and his family until the time of her death. Her husband George Arthur Keidge who was a bricklayer and miner died on 15 May 1951. At the time his home was in Lobb Street, Churchill. George’s property (re-subdivision 1), fronting Lobb Street, transferred to his son Herbert Robert Keidge in 1952. The Council of the City of Ipswich acquired re-subdivision 2 containing 7 acres, 3 roods and 22 perches of land in November 1954 and re-subdivision 1 in 1977.
References (online)Obituary Mrs G. A. KeidgeCouncil Briefs 3 April 1954Council Briefs 21 August 1954Park Name Unchanged 18 September 1954






