Menu
Camira
The word Camira is commonly attributed to the Yerongpan tribe, meaning windy.
Earliest mention of land use in Camira comes from 1868 government land sales when the area was known just simply as the 'Sandy Waterholes'. The area was largely used for agricultural purposes until 1967 when a large parcel of land was purchased and sub-divided to form the 'Woodlands Estate'.
The new suburb name "Camira" was selected by the Progress Association in the 1970s and it was officially named by the Queensland Place Names Board on 1 August 1972. The boundaries of the suburb were amended by the Minister for Lands on 3 May 1996. It was named and bounded by the Minister for Natural Resources on 8th September 2000. The suburb name was regazetted by the Minister for Natural Resources and Water on the 30 January 2009 due to the council amalgamations under the Local Government Reform Implementation Act 2007.
By 1970, the area had a increasing population and a school was built. The Camira State School opened on 29 January 1974.
Camia was part of the former Moreton Shire Council. Prior to 1976, there were no street numbers in Camira, Lot numbers were used instead. The policy for naming rural roads in the former Moreton Shire was for street name submissions to have an historical basis. Most street names fell into one of these themes:
• Australiana
• Birds
• Royal Australian Naval Ships
• People who excelled in Sports and the Arts
• People who served the community well
• Pioneers and Long-term land holders of the area
The Camira Welcome sign was updated in 2018 with a "Corten" steel backing board placed behind the lettering and new sculptural elements added (Laughing Kookaburra, the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo and the Common Ring-tailed Possum).






