Menu
Clairmont (Buckhaven)
Clairmont, or Claremont II as it has also been referred to in historical records, was first owned by John Panton. Panton had also previously owned another property called Claremont situated at 1A Milford Street, Ipswich.
Forced to sell their original family home in 1863, the Panton's lived in West Ipswich before building Claremont II in Blackall Street. This residence was similar in design to their original home though it was smaller and constructed from bricks and conglomerate stone block instead of sandstone.
Following the death of John's widow Isabella, Claremont II was sold to George Bashford in 1880. However, after Bashford was declared insolvent in 1888, its ownership was transferred to the Queensland National Bank and was rented to the surveyor J. R. Atkinson. As one of Ipswich’s earliest surveyors, Atkinson was reportedly responsible for the Ipswich to Grandchester (Bigge’s Camp) railway line.
Around 1916/1917, William Eckford Lawrie purchased the property from the bank, and it is believed that he renamed it Buckhaven after his Scottish home. His alterations to the property included the addition of a tennis court and bowling green.
Mrs. John Morris acquired the property in 1927 and converted it into flats. Further changes were made by Mr. V. Beckman who bought the home in 1962.
References (offline)Great Houses of Ipswich : Saturday 13 September 2014
Ipswich Heritage Study, 1992, Volume 3: Inventory of Heritage Items: Public, Commercial and Residential (Amberley to Ipswich)Read More At Ipswich LibrariesGreat Houses of Ipswich : Saturday 13 September 2014






