This guest post is courtesy of Irma Deas and Claire Juler from the Ipswich Genealogical Society.
Frederick George Springall was 76 years old and had been in Australia almost 50 years when he became Mayor of Ipswich after the death of Mr A.J. Stephenson in December 1914.
Born in Bromley Middlesex England 1st December 1839, he came to Australia on the “Golden City” and arrived in Moreton Bay on 3rd January 1865. His brother Joseph Henry Springall had arrived some time before. Frederick, who had been apprenticed to his father in his Ironworks in Essex England, was employed in bridge construction for the railways, and worked on the building of the Ipswich Railway Terminus Station.
When gold was discovered in Gympie, Frederick joined the many men who flocked to the diggings. Instead of digging for the elusive pot of gold, he helped with the construction of a crushing plant for the Enterprise Company and remained in that town for about two years. On returning to Ipswich he again worked for the railways before moving to Sydney and Mort’s Dock and Engineering Company, and assisted in the construction of a number of light locomotives for the Parramatta railway line. Frederick spent some time at sea as an engineer on ships trading between Sydney, New Caledonia and Cooktown before once more returning to the railway in Ipswich.
In 1881 he commenced his own business constructing timber wagons for the Bundaberg Railway. In 1883 with James Frost, he commenced trading as “Messrs. Springall and Frost,” Engineers and Rolling-stock Manufacturers in Lowry Street North Ipswich, the site of the Ipswich RSL today. On the 11th of October, 1887, the first Queensland-made locomotive was delivered by them to the Railway Department. With a name change it became the Phoenix Engineering and Rolling Stock Company, building steam locomotive engines.
Frederick George was elected as an Alderman of the North Ward Ipswich and served Ipswich as an Alderman from 2nd February 1887 to 30th January 1892, then again from 26th June 1911 to 14th February 1916, with the last year of service as Mayor.
Frederick Springall and Thomas Eden began the first Anglican Sunday-school, and the first Anglican Church at North Ipswich.
Frederick died on the 12th January 1924, and is buried in the Ipswich Cemetery, as are two of his wives, Adelaide and Catherine.
Mayor – Springall, F.G. 1915. Image courtesy of Picture Ipswich






