Menu
H. T. Hooper & Co. Soap and Soda Factory
In 1866 the Isambert Bros started a soap and candle making works on the left bank of the Bremer at their 72.5-acre property, Toongara Vineyard, near Churchill. A few years later G.E. Meyer was taken into partnership and subsequently the business was acquired around 1882 by William Hancock. The production of his soap and candles required tallow from the local Ipswich rendering works, and Hancock advertised his willingness to purchase both small and large quantities.
Following the devastating flood of January 1887, and capitalising on the opening of the Fassifern railway, by March 1887 Hancock had moved the factory to the present site on Lobb Street, Churchill. Here he erected a new facility, the current building, and in October 1887 the following detailed description of the site and the process of soap making was provided in the press:
In 1919 Henry’s son Fred joined the company then Fred’s son John began working in the family wholesale grocery business. Henry Hooper died in 1944. His grandson John later opened a furniture store that also sold rolls of carpet. This company went on to become Hooper’s Carpet One, focusing on carpet and floor coverings. Hooper’s Carpets was later managed by John’s son Andrew and was situated at 63 Brisbane Street, Ipswich, in the 1990s. By this period the old soap factory was used by Nissen Welding Industries.






