Menu
Pacific Motors
When Pacific Motors opened at 211 Brisbane Street on the 6th of May, 1927 it was one of three motor garages in the street. It was an Oldsmobile car district headquarters and a fully equipped service station, designed by Mr. Brockwell Gill. The business was opened "In order to cope with the ever-increasing sales of the popular Oldsmobile..." (The Telegraph), it was marketed as both an easier place for people in the surrounding areas to go to buy new cars, but also somewhere that would be useful for those that already owned cars in the city.
It had a show room on the ground floor, a workroom plant and internal stairs to the basement. Much of the equipment required to run the business was installed in the basement. The business specialised in repairs, grease change and car washing, and had the most modern battery chargers available, two hoses (one inside and one outside), and lubricating oil and petrol. There were three bowsers on the footpath, each of which provided a different brand of oil.
The showroom was 33 ft by 50 ft and was well lit by both lantern light and natural lighting. The walls were "...finished in white plaster with a dado of dark facing bricks" (Queensland Times). The building next door was being built at the same time, in a similar design to that of Pacific Motors.
The shop was managed by Mr C Mehulsh, who had worked in the industry for nearly 25 years previously.
The business was advertising "must be sold" deals in the Queensland Times in January of 1931 and the building was occupied by Ipswich Used Car Co. in March of that year. Later the building was been sold to Mr. Faulkner; who owned a rival garage across the road.
References (online)Pacific Motors, The Telegraph, Tue 3 May 1927, p. 10BUILDING TRADE, Queensland Times, Thu 14 Apr 1927, p. 6SERVING MOTORISTS, Queensland Times, Fri 6 May 1927, p. 10Advertising, Queensland Times, Fri 23 Jan 1931, p. 1Advertising, Queensland Times, Sat 21 Mar 1931, p. 2CITY COUNCIL, Queensland Times, Tue 17 Mar 1931, p. 4RELIEF GRANTED, Queensland Times, Wed 26 July 1933, p. 8





