Menu
Ozanam House
The majority of the land on which Ozanam House stands was purchased by James Stirling in November 1879. The land transferred to William Berry in 1884 and then to Richard Davies Graham in 1885. The date of construction of the building is most likely c.1886, as R.D. Graham took out two mortgages on the property in June 1886. It is likely that Ozanam House was designed by R.D. Graham who practised as an architect, civil engineer, licensed surveyor, agent and auctioneer with his firm R.D. Graham and Son from 1883-1887.
The property transferred to Samuel Piper in 1892 and then to John Canty, a blacksmith, in 1906. On the death of John Canty in 1946, the property transferred to Ethel May Senior (nee Canty). The land was subdivided in 1950 with Senior retaining the rear portion and the Roderick Street frontage containing the house was transferred to Thomas Keith Johnson. Thomas owned and operated a sweet making factory in the centre of Ipswich near the railway station.
In 1960 the Metropolitan Central Council of Brisbane of the Society of St Vincent de Paul became the owner of the house and in 1961 it took possession of the rear portion of the land. The name of the organisation was later changed to the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul State Council of Queensland.
Researched & Written ByTanya JenReferences (online)Transmission by Death - 1947Probate - John Canty - 1946To Let - Samuel Piper's Residence - 1904Ozanam House, Queensland Heritage Register entry






